Sunday, May 5, 2013

Fashion: Tank Tops!

Like a mirage in the desert, I have found tank tops that will fit a Tall Girl AND provide enough coverage to not show the post-mastectomy bra!  What?!  Looks like someone is going to be showing off some serious clavicle!!

My first "score" was, oddly enough, at the local Target!  
Mossimo Women's Microrib Tanks!
I got one in the color shown and a black one.  They are plenty long.  Like, I am 5'10 1/2" and  it covers my entire torso and hips.  As long as I don't pull down on it too much, it covers the post-mastectomy bra! I've worn them plain and dressed them up with a light sweater.  Target did have lots of summer sweaters and even a little shrug cardigan if you wanted to make sure those ugly post-mastectomy bra straps don't show.  

It is low-cut enough that if anyone were able to see down the shirt a little bit (but not very likely - an advantage of being tall!), someone who was really paying attention could probably see breast tissue on one side and flatness on the other.  I recently had lunch with a bunch of people I hadn't seen since before the mastectomy and I wore a scarf over the tank top to head off The Look.  You know The Look, right?  It's the "I just saw you but first I'm going scan your bust and see if I can tell anything is different" look.  The scarf over the tank top gave me coverage , but I didn't have that "modest is hotest" thing I've unfortunately been working.

The other tank top score came from a family member!  She had surgery a couple of years ago and couldn't wear a bra during recovery, so she bought some of these.

Women's Microfiber Full-Coverage Perfect-Fit Cami from Norm Thompson
Wait!!!  I know that picture is...less than flattering shall we say.  Is she wearing pajama pants?  Can we get her lipstick and some earrings?  But bear with me!!  This camisole has lightly padded cups with underwire (which my dear family member removed from the mastectomy side for me) and has a bra closure in the back (not visible).  I can wear it with the post-mastectomy bra, but of course the straps show, so I could wear it as a nice base layer.  BUT, because this thing has a bra in it and is full-coverage, I put my "first form" in the cup and just wear the camisole sans post-mastectomy bra.  I have your attention now, right?!  The two that I have are hand-me-downs, and I assume they've been dried in the dryer countless times (we tall girls line dry everything, amirite?), and they hit me right in that zone of just barely being long enough but am probably going to tug at all the time to make sure.  After I order my own, I'll report back on the length.  You order them according to your bra size, and they are also available in cotton

Have you found any full-coverage tank tops?  Do you obsessively line dry everything, too?  How do you handle The Look?

1 comment:

  1. Solutions.com is the other place I've found that has those high-coverage camisoles. They are very similar to the Norm Thompson ones.

    ReplyDelete